Graduate Stories – Jennifer Morton BSc (Hons) in Human Resource Management

As a Royal Navy (RN) Warrant Officer attending the Work Based Distance Learning (WBDL) degree, the framework has allowed me to apply my Human Resource Management (HRM) and experience and gain a higher level of accredited qualification during the 20 months of study undertaken at the University of Lincoln (UoL).

I have had the opportunity to enhance my managerial and academic skills within my own area of expertise in HRM and maximise my work experience and prior learning with academic learning.

I have demonstrated underpinning knowledge of a high level of managerial capability consistent with an associated high level of academic expertise.  Within the workplace, this has ensured the delivery of people management policies in support of the RN’s strategy to ensure successful business outcomes.

Being in full time employment in the RN and enrolled on the Enhanced Learning Credits (ELC) scheme has enabled me to receive a £4000 grant towards the total cost of the course.  Another benefit of being a member of the Armed Forces is the Core Values and Standards I have demonstrated to remain disciplined and focussed in completing my degree course.

At times, I must admit trying to achieve a work-life balance and reacting to changes in personal commitments throughout the duration of my degree has been challenging.  However, with the support of my husband, other family members, friends, line-management and work colleagues, I am proud to have succeeded in completion of the degree with a First-Class Honours classification.

I must also mention the professionalism of all my tutors and administrative support staff at UoL.  Without their direction and guidance, I would have struggled to achieve the results I have achieved.

In addition, it is pleasing that the BSc (Hons) HRM degree has been accredited by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) against the Level 5 Certificate in Human Resource Practice.  Retaining CIPD Membership throughout my studies and remaining a member, I also look forward to receiving a Level 5 Certificate.