Alumni Focus: Hannah Mayor – BA (Hons) International Tourism Management

Considering studying International Tourism Management? Lincoln International Business School alumni, Hannah Mayor, tells us her experience and why she chose University of Lincoln. 

What is your full name?
Hannah Mayor

What undergraduate degree did you study?
BA (Hons) International Tourism Management (Work Placement Year)

Why did you choose your undergraduate course and why Lincoln in particular?
I loved studying business at A-levels and tourism at GCSE level so naturally it felt right to pursue a degree in a subject that I loved and knew I was good at.
Before visiting Lincoln, I had visit two other University campuses but upon arriving in Lincoln I fell in love instantly. Such a vibrant and safe city, I knew I would be happy completing my degree here. The added bonus was that Lincoln was also ranked no.1 for my course in the country at the time.

Describe the course in five words..
Rewarding, educational, diverse, thought-provoking and well-structured.

Did you undertake a work placement year?
I undertook a work placement year at Xerox and my job title was “Showpad Administrator”. My role included developing and managing a mobile and website-based platform that provided essential tools to the sales force. It was an extremely diverse role that provided me with essential skills and experience to prepare me for my career after graduation. I came back to University more motivated and determined after my work placement year.

What did the course involve?
The course contained interesting and a varied range of modules starting from the fundamentals of management; marketing, finance and HR. Throughout the degree it continued to become more diverse and teaching materials were adapted accordingly to the growing industry and current issues. To ensure we were kept up to date with the industry we would be working within in the near future. The wide range of assessment types meant that each module was unique and well-structured.

What did the course teach you?
Not only did the course teach you all you needed to know about tourism and the relevant issues surrounding the industry but how to effectively manage people, destinations and businesses. It taught me many skills that can be transferable throughout my career but overall increasing my employability. From working with local businesses on a consultancy project to conducting our own research, the course covered all aspects helping to educate us and prepare us for life after graduation.

Was the course well connected to relevant employers?
The course had a good working relationship with local tourism businesses and professionals, which meant volunteer work, networking and guest lecturers were available over the three years.

Were you part of any societies and / or sports teams?
I joined the yoga society in my final year here at Lincoln and absolutely loved it! A place to unwind but also make new friends! My only regret is not joining a society in my first year!

What are your career ambitions?
After graduating, I hope to pursue a career in marketing or as a customer success manager! Both these careers aspirations have evolved from my experiences gained from my placement year and the transferable skills I have gained from my degree and time here at the Lincoln International Business School.

What do you wish you’d known before embarking on undergraduate study?
How truly competitive the graduate market is! Although, I like to think I did enough, I wish I took more opportunities to enhance my CV further. The university were great at posting job opportunities and volunteer work, so I regret not accepting these opportunities more.

What tips would you give to others choosing an undergraduate degree?
Before starting my degree, I was unsure which career pathway I wished to follow. Therefore, I recommend searching into potential careers you’re interested in and picking a degree that best suits the requirements of these jobs. So always undertake lots of research before choosing your degree.

What has been the highlight of your time at Lincoln International Business School?
Meeting friends from all over the UK (and the world), living in the most amazing city and graduating with a first-class honour degree!

Hannah Mayor
Hannah Mayor

To find out more about undergraduate study at Lincoln International Business School at University of Lincoln, visit our courses page here.