Alumni Focus: Rebecca Cardell – BA (Hons) International Tourism Management

Considering studying International Tourism Management? Lincoln International Business School alumni, Rebecca Cardell, tells us about her experience studying at Lincoln, with tips and advice for new students.

What is your full name?
Rebecca Cardell

What undergraduate degree did you study?
BA (Hons) International Tourism Management

Why did you choose your undergraduate course and why Lincoln in particular?
As a mature student, I had already been to university after my A levels to study nursing and realised that it was not the course for me. After years of working full time I decided to go travelling for a year and teach in Cambodia. I then realised that I wanted to better myself and my interest was in tourism and learning more about the world. The University of Lincoln was the top University for this course and not too far from my home city.

Describe the course in five words…
• Rewarding
• Insightful
• Engaging
• Eye-opening
• Adaptable

Did you undertake a work placement year?
I decided to opt-out of doing the work placement year and do a semester abroad in China instead, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

What did the course involve?
The course used a varied platform of teaching methods and assessments including presentations, online conferences, field trips, group work, research and examinations which allowed me to show my abilities in a variety of ways. The course started by getting a basic idea of tourism and business, and then developed into more specific modules and finally a dissertation of choice. The course gives an optional study abroad module, which I would 100% recommend, I opted to spend the semester in Chongqing, China, and this has maximised my cultural awareness, allowed me to meet a variety of people from different backgrounds and allowed me to develop my Mandarin skills that I picked up within a language module in year one.

What did the course teach you?
Overall, the course has ultimately opened my eyes to a variety of tourism issues and the planning and management of international tourism. It has enabled me to think differently and work independently and taught me how to use my thoughts and how to back them up with underlying theories and evidence. Overall, the course has taught me how to manage time, independence, cultural diversity, international knowledge and ultimately how to work hard to succeed and excel.

Was the course well connected to relevant employers?
There were many opportunities to connect to relevant employers in all three years of the degree. My course leader sent opportunities and relevant information about job prospects via email to all students and the careers department catered and aided us if we needed it. Additionally, the course presented multiple opportunities to connect with professional contacts through guest lectures, international field trips, and online conferences.

Were you part of any societies and / or sports teams?
Unfortunately, I did not get involved in any societies or sports teams, but I did get involved in extracurricular activities with the international team at LIBS which enabled me to engage with international students. This included international events, the global certificate and we also got to organise a trip to Hull for the international students to experience more of the UK. I would recommend all students to find something they are interested in and to partake in it as it maximises the university experience extensively.

What are your career ambitions?
I have a keen interest in tourism and disaster management, and I will be continuing my studies to gain more knowledge surrounding the topics, however, the extracurricular activities that I have participated in within the Business School have seen me have a strong interest within improving international students experience within University, this is something I am also focusing on.

What do you wish you’d known before embarking on undergraduate study?
Due to being a mature student, in the first and second year of University, I opted to commute from my home in Hull. The one thing I wish I would have known is how much more beneficial it is to stay in Lincoln. This adds to the University experience and moving out in third year has allowed me to get more involved with many aspects that I would not have seen otherwise. These include being a student ambassador, working for the University, being a peer mentor for B-Global and helping with international events with the LIBS team; this has enhanced and developed me as a person.

What tips would you give to others choosing an undergraduate degree?
Make sure that you have a passion for the degree you are selecting. As a returning student at University, I think this is very important. If you chose something you are not passionate about; you will not be 100% into it. Additionally, I advise you to get involved in everything, extracurricular activities, trips, representing your course, and working for University as this will give you the best University experience. Additionally, make sure you make use of all resources that the University offer, the University are there to enable you succeed in every way possible.

What has been the highlight of your time at Lincoln International Business School?
The international experience gained from the Lincoln Business school and the connections I have made along the way. During my degree, I have spent six months in China and participated in field trips to Sri Lanka and India which gave me in-depth knowledge to business practices, disaster management and cultural differences which will benefit me within my future career. Additionally, the extra-curricular activities I have participated in to aid international students has given me the opportunity to meet students from a variety of backgrounds and cultures.

Rebecca Cardell
Rebecca Cardell

To find out more about undergraduate study at Lincoln International Business School at University of Lincoln, visit our courses page here.