Alumni Focus: Andri Sveinsson – BA (Hons) Sports Business Management

BA (Hons) Sports Business Management graduate, Andri, tells us all about his experience studying at Lincoln International Business School, and why he chose Lincoln.

Why did you choose your undergraduate course and why Lincoln in particular?

I chose my course because it seemed very well suited for me as I have always done well in business at school and sixth form as well as having a passion for sports, so it made sense to combine the two. I decided to come to Lincoln because I already lived there with my parents, so it made my university experience a lot cheaper!

What did you enjoy most about your chosen course?

I loved so many things about the course but honestly, I just really loved getting stuck in with the work and finally writing about things that genuinely interest me. The assignments often gave us freedom to explore our own choice of organisation/team/topic in order to ensure we could write about our interests as much as possible.

Describe the course in five words…

Engaging, Challenging, Rewarding, Supportive, Exciting.

What were the positive aspects of your course on you and your chosen career?

The course allowed me to develop and acquire various skills, especially presentations, which will be a significant part of my future career and is an area in which I now feel very confident. The course also gave me the platform to go on and study a master’s degree at Loughborough over the past year

Have you secured graduate employment? Tell us about your role, your employer, and your responsibilities.

I have a matchday job at Lincoln City FC taking care of VIPs and sponsors during matchdays, which is a job I hope to be able to use as a platform to launch my career in sport sponsorships.

Were you part of any societies and / or sports teams?

I played for the Lincoln Colonials (American Football) for my first 2 years – I decided not to play in my 3rd year in order to focus on my studies. Being a part of this team gave me so much during my time at university as it gave me a huge support network and family that I still feel a part of today, even after graduating.

What advice would you give to someone else looking at your course?

Take advantage of as many opportunities as you can. This course provides so many amazing opportunities to get involved in more than just the degree program. Of course you can’t always say yes to everything but try to get involved with as much as possible because those are the things that stand out after you’ve finished.

What tips would you give to others choosing an undergraduate degree?

Complete assignments early (it saves so much stress) and get involved with as many things as you can to make your university experience stand out.

Do you have any further comments about the course, your School or the University?

The staff on the course are incredible. Throughout the 3 years we received so much support from all members of staff involved with our course and I will always be grateful for the way they all went above and beyond for the students.

Andri Sveinsson

To find out more about undergraduate study at Lincoln International Business School at University of Lincoln, visit our courses page here.