Expanding Horizons – LIBS Students Visit Netherlands and Ireland

LIBS100, a funded scheme allowing students to enhance their global mindset, connect with the global community and engage with international experts has seen groups of Lincoln International Business, (LIBS), students recently enjoy visits to Zwolle, Amsterdam and Killarney. These visits, organised by the LIBS Global Experience Team are themed to sit within Sustainable Development Goals and to align with business and sustainability.

15 undergraduate and Masters students visited the Netherlands between 20th and 24th June. Their exciting itinerary included a bicycle tour of North Amsterdam with ‘Sustainable Amsterdam’ where they learned about regeneration projects and sustainable initiatives. Partner institution Windesheim’s staff and students delivered sustainable business workshops and presentations of business plans and there was an insight into E-bike production with the development of a business from ‘the Tesla of e-bikes’ Stella Fietsen. Naturally, while in the country, there was sampling of local delicacy ‘Stroopwaffles’ and boat trips exploring Amsterdam’s vast waterways!

Students standing together next to the staircase decorated with UN sustainable development goals

Armin, a Masters student commented:

The cooperation with the students from Windesheim University of Applied Sciences on exploring modern sustainability practices in business was a real pleasure. I found a lot of international friends as well as observing lots of approaches to action in Netherlands.  The bike tour was amazing with lots of local knowledge, and the guider informing us about Dutch sustainable business practices. I appreciate the Global Experience Team giving us this opportunity to elevate our knowledge and global mindset in sustainability in businesses by seeing it action”

Whilst these students were enjoying the Netherlands, another group of students headed west, visiting beautiful Killarney in Ireland. With tourism the predominant industry, the week included visits to main attractions including castles, waterfalls, a hotel and an arena. Throughout the visit, students absorbed local culture, learning all about the history and traditions.  This even included hearing a schoolteacher sing a traditional song.

Students were able to learn how COVID had impacted the area and how small businesses fought to survive. Our positive collaboration with Killarney began with a local hotel seeking to enhance and enriching our student opportunities, in turn, this led to them engaging a student on a work placement and now this visit. With the LIBS Events and Tourism Management programme consistently in the top five in the UK (Complete University Guide), we are delighted to be able to offer our students such relevant hands on experience and targeted visits such as these.

Students standing together outside of Ross castle in Killarney, Ireland

Students also really enjoyed this visit, with one participant adding:

“I feel that this activity was an amazing opportunity and I am so grateful that I was able to attend with it benefitting me in a variety of ways. The trip was well organised and the activities allowed me to develop my knowledge of the tourism industry in Killarney. Furthermore, I have gained confidence from this trip, I pushed myself out of my comfort zone and decided to try something new. When I went on this trip, I was the youngest participant and the only first year student, I felt more nervous because I didn’t know anyone. However, I quickly made friends who encouraged me to push myself out of my comfort zone even further. I am so happy that I decided to go as it has made me more determined to make the most of my university experience”.

Interested in learning more about LIBS100 and eligibility to apply?  Please look at LIBS 100 | Lincoln International Business School | University of Lincoln and contact LIBSget@lincoln.ac.uk

A huge thank you to all participating students. You were fantastic ambassadors for the Business School and University of Lincoln. A big thank you also to our Global Experience Team who organise and lead these visits, supported by various staff from across the College.