Alumni Focus: Jessica Yallop – BA (Hons) Sports Business Management

Jessica, a BA (Hons) Sports Business Management graduate, tell us about her experience studying at Lincoln International Business School, and what her highlights have been.

What is your full name?
Jessica Yallop

What undergraduate degree did you study? 
BA (Hons) Sports Business Management

Why did you choose the your undergraduate course and why Lincoln in particular? 
I’ve always loved being involved in sport and have an interest for business studies, so Sports Business Management sounded a good fit for me to develop my interests. I chose Lincoln because of its welcoming nature; all the staff were friendly and helped with any questions I had about the University.

Describe the course in five words…
Engaging
Creative
Practical
Interesting
Enjoyable

Did you undertake a work placement year? 
No – however, knowing what I know now and hearing from other students that undertook a placement year, I would definitely recommend students take this into consideration as this practical experience helps develop understanding.

What did the course involve?
The course included a range of modules which allowed me to explore different areas of the degree subject. There were a number of trips that allowed us to visit businesses in the industry alongside guest lectures to give an insight into possible future positions an individual could apply for after graduation.

What did the course teach you?
The course taught me that there are so many more opportunities within the sporting industry and how to develop the skills and knowledge needed to achieve these positions.

Was the course well connected to relevant employers? 
The course provided connections with relevant job positions and employers which we could explore.

Were you part of any societies and / or sports teams?
In my first year I joined the Women’s Basketball team, I remained a member of the club throughout my three years at university which gave me the opportunity to be the club treasurer in my second year and then progressed to captain and coach in my final year.

What are your career ambitions?
I hope to work within a sports club managing the digital communications or social media marketing that is used to connect with and develop relationships with consumers.

What do you wish you’d known before embarking on undergraduate study?
Personally, I wish I gave more time into exploring the prospective job positions that this course could give me. By doing this you can tailor the modules in your degree to fit the needs of this positions giving you an advantage over other graduates.

What tips would you give to others choosing an undergraduate degree?
Explore all the options available to you and make sure you choose something you enjoy!

What has been the highlight of your time at Lincoln International Business School?
Being given the opportunity to visit a number of sporting organisations has allowed me to understand and experience what it would be like to work in industry.

Jess Yallop
Jessica Yallop

To find out more about undergraduate study at Lincoln International Business School at University of Lincoln, visit our courses page here.