Alumni Focus: Lydia Gallyer-Barnett – BA (Hons) Business Economics

Lydia, a BA (Hons) Business Economics graduate, tell us about her experience studying at Lincoln International Business School, and what her career ambitions are.

What is your full name?
Lydia Gallyer-Barnett

What undergraduate degree did you study?
Business Economics

Why did you choose the your undergraduate course and why Lincoln in particular?
I chose Business Economics because I wanted a more applied type of Economics degree and I chose Lincoln because of its small and welcoming community – here you aren’t just a student ID number!

Describe the course in five words…
Challenging. Thought-provoking. Grounding. Rewarding. Revolutionary.

Did you undertake a work placement year?
I undertook a 12-month placement as a Student Economist at Her Majesty’s Treasury in Whitehall, London.

What did the course involve?
My course involved both macroeconomics and microeconomics learning, but with a more in depth look and application of the micro elements. Complementing this was a teaching in the fundamentals of statistics and econometrics.

What did the course teach you?
The course has opened my eyes and taught me to not be so naïve. There are many schools of economics with differing views, theories and evidence and it is best to learn about them all in order to understand the economy more fully.

Was the course well connected to relevant employers?
On numerous occasions we had external guest speakers from industry come in to present to us students.

Were you part of any societies and / or sports teams?
I was a part of UoL Athletics, Climbing, Yoga, ECO (Environmental Conservation Organisation) and Economics (which I acted as President for). Outside of UoL, I was a part of the LCG (Lincolnshire Conservation Group) and LWAC (Lincoln Wellington Athletics Club).

What are your career ambitions?
I am due to start (September 2020) HM Treasury’s GDP (Graduate Development Programme). I earnt my place on this scheme via the GES (Government Economic Service) protocol which I took the assessments for at the end of my placement year.

What do you wish you’d known before embarking on undergraduate study?
Luckily my older brother went to University of Lincoln so he gave me a heads up on a lot of cool things on offer (such as the Lincoln Award and becoming a School Ambassador). However, I wish I knew more beforehand about the extracurricular academic activities available to us (e.g. I did not know about the language lessons that Lincoln International Business School offer or the Student Managed Investment Fund!)

What tips would you give to others choosing an undergraduate degree?
Choose something that you enjoy because three to four years is a long time to be unhappy for.
A placement year gives you great exposure to the professional world and such a confidence lift so do try get one organised!

What has been the highlight of your time at Lincoln International Business School?
My highlight has been helping to promote the Economics Division around the business school and across campus. Its numbers keep growing, and year after year it becomes an even more friendly community like hub.

Lydia Gallyer-Barnett
Lydia Gallyer-Barnett

To find out more about undergraduate study at Lincoln International Business School at University of Lincoln, visit our courses page here.