Alumni Focus: Bhavesh Bhagwanji – BA (Hons) Business and Finance

Bhavesh, a BA (Hons) Business and Finance graduate, tell us about his experience studying at Lincoln International Business School, and what tips he would give to other students starting their undergraduate degree.

What is your full name?
Bhavesh Bhagwanji

What undergraduate degree did you study? 
BA (Hons) Business and Finance

Why did you choose the your undergraduate course and why Lincoln in particular? 
I am a firm believer in everything happens for a reason, during my A levels I wasn’t informed of the various institutions further afield so I did some research online about the subject area I was passionate about and Lincoln came up. So I browsed the course and had a brief look at the league tables. I thought to myself Lincoln looked like a nice well-suited city for me. By this point, there were no more open days so I took the chance and placed Lincoln as my number one choice. I then attended an ‘Offer Holder Day’ and turned out I had made the right decision. From getting off the train to getting back on it I had enjoyed every moment. For me Lincoln had a sense of community and togetherness, it was a university where you were not just a student number but you were an individual. The lecturer’s passion and devotion to their subject field are unparalleled to any other institution I had visited. The course offered many more extracurricular activities which you are encouraged to take part in. It was nice to have a course where you are recognised for your achievements and academic performance.

In terms of the city itself, Lincoln has a lot to offer for such a small location. I found it the perfect size as I came from a large city it was a nice change as most amenities were in walking distance thus saving expenses on travel to university. You could be from the University to the end of Lincoln in a 30-minute walk. In terms of transport links, Lincoln was well suited having direct train and coach services to various cities including a direct train to London Kings Cross and Leeds. For housing, Lincoln has a very affordable living area where rent is usually bills included which works out cheaper and simpler for the students, in comparison to other university cities where this may not be the case. Lincoln has a great nightlife to offer for students ranging from quiet nights at cosy pubs to all-out nightclub-style experience. It is to be noted that the whole city revolves around one street which has all the shopping and department stores making it easier to stock up on essentials when moving in. Overall, it is a great city to prepare you for the world outside once graduated.

Describe the course in five words…
Enjoyable, Amiable, Communal, Memorable, Insightful.

Did you undertake a work placement year? 
I was advised to take a work placement year however I did not but a lot of my peers did.

What did the course involve?
My course was excellent if you wanted to broaden your knowledge of both the financial and wider objectives of a business. It had many modules and this was something that attracted me to the course as there were many options for my course throughout the three years. Year one was essentially a year in which you can discover which modules you were drawn to and potentially wanted to further in the coming years, this year was interesting as you had a mix of everything (Introduction to Accountancy and Finance, Principles of Economics, Introduction to Business Law, Principles of Marketing, Organisational Behaviour, Analysis of Business Data). Some of these modules you can carry over to Years two and three. During Year two you had the option to choose two options which were the same in Year three. By having this opportunity to try out new areas of study which you may not have delved into before allows you to see the potential for subjects which may draw you into further study. The course code was NN13 which you can further read in depth module details.

What did the course teach you?
The course taught me a myriad of skills as well as opportunities to participate in extra activities. The course allows you to have an insight into any potential careers you may aspire to which can be accessed via a module you study or a group project which may have had an impact on you.

Was the course well connected to relevant employers?
The course is well connected with numerous employers throughout the UK and if a student so wishes to apply for any employer the University careers department have a very extensive knowledge and preparation techniques for you to succeed.

Were you part of any societies and / or sports teams?
At university, I hosted a radio show on Siren FM which is called Lincolnomics. This is a radio show about how Lincolnshire operates as an economy and how businesses choose to run in and around Lincoln. I have hosted this show for just over three years and it has proven to be quite popular as it got backing from the Pro-Vice-Chancellor of the Lincoln Business School, Dr Craig Marsh. I was part of the Badminton Society which meet once a week for a two-hour session of badminton. I was also part of the Lincoln Business School Mentor scheme where I was being mentored by a trained Accountant who works for Wright Vigar. I was part of a Staff-Student insight scheme which allows me to shadow the CFO of the University which involves going to meetings etc. and then he visited my lectures and seminars to see aspects of the university which he may not have seen. I was a course rep for three years for Business and Finance.

What are your career ambitions?
Going forward, I aspire to become an airline pilot, which has always been a childhood dream for me. I started flying from a young age and got my Private Pilot’s license last year which firmed my decision going forward after university. I am currently in Jerez, Spain, undergoing a Trainee Airline Pilot course. The reason I chose to do Business Finance at university was that I always had a passion and drive for business but also it has helped me develop as a student and gain key skills for my future such as analytical and financial skills. It is important to cement your decision for your future as it can help set a path of the various goals and objectives you want to achieve.

What do you wish you’d known before embarking on the undergraduate study?
Before embarking on university I hadn’t a family member who had been before so for me it was a whole new experience. My advice would be to do your research and make sure the university city and the course are for you. I was lucky that Lincoln happened to exceed my expectations but meticulous preparation and asking questions on open days can go a long way in deciding where you want to complete your degree.

What tips would you give to others choosing an undergraduate degree?
When choosing an undergraduate degree make sure you research the modules and what they entail as some may not appear as they seem which may lead to you underperforming in them. Make sure you are aware of the types of careers that the degree can lead you into especially some of the modules as this can often be the deciding factor to employers as to why you selected them to start with. Most importantly pick a degree that you are going to enjoy and find interesting. This being the very reason I did not choose an aviation degree purely based on the fact that I was passionate about Business since GCSE and wanted to further study in an industry I could fall back on. It is really important to make sure you set yourself apart from everyone else in your cohort. In the long run, they are the people who will be competing against you for graduate jobs, by participating in all these extra things you cannot only gain a lot of skills but also able to differentiate yourself from your peers.

What has been the highlight of your time at Lincoln International Business School?
For me, there have been many highlights to my time at the university business school but I think the ones that have to stand out have to be the dedication and time that the lecturers give to make sure you achieve those high grades. I was a student who wanted to make the most out of university and utilise every resource available and it was the very thing I did. In the business school If you are willing to give your time and work hard then what you put into your degree you will receive. By showing your drive and passion for the course the lecturers will reciprocate and do their very best to help you succeed. After three years it is extremely rewarding to be graduating in the Lincoln Cathedral which is an incredible structure and makes you proud to have gone to University of Lincoln.

Bhavesh Bhagwanji
Bhavesh Bhagwanji

To find out more about undergraduate study at Lincoln International Business School at University of Lincoln, visit our courses page here.