Alumni Focus: Rhiannon Baker – BA (Hons) Marketing Management

BA (Hons) Marketing Management graduate, Rhiannon, shares her experience studying at Lincoln International Business School, and what her course taught her.

What is your full name?
Rhiannon Baker.

What undergraduate degree did you study?
BA (Hons) Marketing Management.

Why did you choose your undergraduate course and why Lincoln in particular?
The course was innovative, modern and covered a variety of topics in marketing. The university believes in working with employers and industries to create courses what equip students with the vital skills for employment in that field. The Business school has links with local companies and industries which can generate work experience, internship or graduate opportunities. Regarding, Lincoln, I wanted to study on a campus where it is integrated within the city which made other aspects of uni life from nights out, restaurants, bars, shopping on the high street or doing the weekly shop more accessible.

Describe the course in five words…
Informative, Interesting, Practical, Creative, Applicable.

Did you undertake a work placement year?
No.

What did the course involve?
First year modules: Principles of Marketing, Marketing Professional, Organisational Behaviour, Analysis of Business Data, Social and Sustainability Marketing, Introduction to Advertising, Introduction to Business Finance, Introduction to Microeconomics.
Second year modules: Service Marketing, Relational Strategies & Digital Media, Media Planning in Advertising, Corporate Reputation and Public Relations, Buyer Behaviour, Research Methods & Consultancy, Strategic Marketing Planning.
Third year modules: Marketing Communications, Global Marketing Strategy, Entrepreneurial Marketing, Consultancy Project.

What did the course teach you?
What marketing is and how it works but more importantly why it is so critical in business and how it can be used strategically to grow and maintain a business.

Was the course well connected to relevant employers?
Yes, the business school also works closely with the careers and employability team, so they are constantly referenced and present throughout your three years.

Were you part of any societies and / or sports teams?
Yes, I was a member of the Business Society in my first year and then in my second year I became President of the society.

What are your career ambitions?
To reach a senior position in Marketing and to work internationally.

What do you wish you’d known before embarking on undergraduate study?
How the modules are taught eg. two lectures, one seminar per module per week, so I could organise how I would manage the note-taking, recommended reading and seminar prep.

What tips would you give to others choosing an undergraduate degree?
Does the degree give you a basic understanding of the wider field your topic is in eg. Business for Marketing?
Focus on the modules you will study across the three years – do they appeal to you?
How are the modules assessed? Does that suit your preferred assessment style? For example, for myself I struggle with exams, so I wanted more coursework and practical application of the theory.

What has been the highlight of your time at Lincoln International Business School?
The unexpected additional opportunities available, for example in my second year I got to go to India for 10 days to study marketing, visit industries and explore the culture. Having the opportunity to run an academic society which, although is managed by the Student Union, was embraced by the Business School and therefore I learnt so much more from the experience.

Rhiannon Baker
Rhiannon Baker

To find out more about undergraduate study at Lincoln International Business School at University of Lincoln, visit our courses page here.