Alumni Focus: Martin Hickerton, Chief Executive Officer at Lincoln City Foundation

MBA alumnus and Chief Executive Officer at Lincoln City Foundation, Martin Hickerton tells us all about his positive experience studying at Lincoln International Business School. 

I have just completed my MBA and hugely enjoyed the experience. It was at times challenging to fit everything into a busy life, but overall, I learned that it was possible with a bit of clever juggling and the occasional push!

How did you find studying alongside working?

When work gets busy, it’s just not possible to focus on studies in the same way, and so I tried to diarise learning times. My daily routine, especially towards the business end of my dissertation, was to drop off the children early in the morning and then take an hour before I started work, to read and write. My topic was around nature connectedness and work, and in many ways, it didn’t feel too much like work to focus on the subject. Occasionally I would pop down to the library to ‘feel’ more academic! Whilst the resources are sort of the same as you can access online, it was still good to get into the zone on campus.

How long did it take from commencing to completion?

About a year and a half all in – I had a slightly unusual journey as I was completing the Masters Qualification that effectively I part completed some years ago. I was massively helped by my tutor Dr Andy Brookes, who was very good at keeping me on track and offering food for thought.

How do you intend to use the qualification?

For me, the MBA is right at the top for Business qualifications and I know that people look and listen if you can show this on your CV. Moreover, the qualification has shown me that there is always more to learn – even when you have been working in organisations for over 20 years! Uncovering some new theories was really exciting and directly applicable to my day job.

What aspect did you enjoy most about studying the MBA?

Taking an alternative approach. I conducted a lot of my research on social media (didn’t feel like hard work) and reflecting whilst taking time in nature (again, didn’t feel like hard work!) I have also implemented something called ‘My Time’ at work, where all staff take an hour each work for their own wellbeing. I believe that my research confirmed the validity of this approach .

Is there any advice you can offer a future student?

Take the opportunity if you can… you will find a way to make it work. And pick a subject you really enjoy and don’t be afraid to study things your way.

Martin Hickerton
Lincoln City Foundation chief executive officer Martin Hickerton
Picture: Chris Vaughan Photography for Lincoln City FC
Date: December 9, 2021

If you would like to expand your qualifications and are interested in studying an MBA with us, then find out more here