Graduate Testimonial – Mark Palmer, BSc (Hons) Engineering Management

We caught up with BSc (Hons) Engineering Management graduate, Mark Palmer to ask him about his experience studying on a Work-Based Distance Learning Programme. Here’s what he had to say…

What was the best thing about your studies?

I really valued the flexibility of the work-based distance learning course, as it allowed me to continue working full time whilst undertaking a degree level qualification.

We plan the degree to be flexible, did this help you?

The flexibility of the course was beneficial to me, as it meant that I could keep up with the course content even during particularly busy periods at work.

How has/will the programme help you in your career?

Completing a work-based distance learning degree demonstrates to your employer that you are committed to continued professional development.

How did you find the programme delivery?

1. The resources were always readily available on Blackboard and could be accessed at any time.
  2. I was assigned an individual tutor for each module, which meant that I always had someone to contact for assistance. The tutors were always willing to arrange calls to discuss assignments and responded to emails in a timely fashion.
  3. The use of technology to complete the degree remotely suited my requirements perfectly, as it provided me with the flexibility to fit the qualification around my full-time job. Carrying out the degree remotely also encouraged independent learning which is a skill I will take forward in my career.

How did you balance home, study, and work life?

Although challenging at times, I do feel I was successful in managing my time effectively, which is a valuable skill that will benefit me in the rest of my career. I found it useful to allocate specific blocks of time to carrying out University work throughout the week and ensuring that during those times I was 100% focused with no distractions.

What would you say to anyone considering applying for a WBDL programme?

I would highly recommend applying for a work-based distance learning qualification. It is a huge commitment, but the University provide excellent support and it is well worth all the hard work when you finally graduate.

Find out more about our work-based, flexible programmes