Alumni Focus: Ben Stennings – BA (Hons) Sports Business Management

Ben, a BA (Hons) Sports Business Management graduate, tell us about his experience studying at Lincoln International Business School, and what his career ambitions are.

What is your full name?
My name is Ben Stennings.

What undergraduate degree did you study?
I studied Sports Business Management.

Why did you choose the your undergraduate course and why Lincoln in particular?
I chose the course because I always wanted to go to university and study sports, however, towards the end of me studying at sixth form, I wanted to do an apprenticeship in Business, after a chat with a couple of my teachers and family, I decided that this course was perfect for what I wanted to study and learn more about. I also chose Lincoln because I have always been a resident here, staying at home and studying would save me a fair bit of money, and I had heard that the University of Lincoln was an excellent university.

Describe the course in five words…
I would describe the course as: intellectual, engaging, challenging, enjoyable and opportunistic.

Did you undertake a work placement year?
I did not undertake a work placement year.

What did the course involve?
The course itself involved working on assignments in different ways and platforms, from group work and presentations, to working with live clients or exams. The course involved working closely as a cohort, with field trip opportunities such as going to Bramall Lane (Sheffield United’s stadium) to attend a conference in which academics and others spoke about their own work on relevant topics. The sports and examples that are used throughout the course are diverse, allowing for full engagement through not using one sport consistently, which also helps to further knowledge around other sports.

What did the course teach you?
The course has taught me about different sports and relevant examples within them, according to the assignment at the time, as well as how to work effectively on your own and within a group, as these can be challenging with work load and time management. The course has also taught me about how significant sports is within the realms of the business world, in which both entities are continuously evolving and becoming bigger. The course has also taught me a range of skills from working first-hand with live clients as an assessment, to be able to listen and cater to their needs and wants, as well as looking to improve and enhance certain aspects of their business.

Was the course well connected to relevant employers?
The course was well connected to relevant employers, as I previously stated, as part of the course, we got to work directly with Lincoln Golf Club and Goalball UK, with the golf club we started a project which led to us presenting to the committee team about how to use certain parts of land to look to yield profit for the club and other aspects associated to the club, this presentation was also an assessment within the course. Working with live clients like these was a diverse way of carrying out an assessment, but it felt relevant, as the clients took on board what we proposed to them in order to enhance their organisations. As well as very good connections with Lincoln City, where we were able to visit the stadium on a few occasions and talk about the business side of football as well as the on-pitch goings on.

Were you part of any societies and / or sports teams?
I was not part of any societies or sports teams, I did want to join the football team, but I did not attend the trials because it clashed with my university timetable. If there was one thing I could change, then I would change that and join the football team, I heard great things about it from course mates.

What are your career ambitions?
My career ambitions are not specifically set in stone, I would love to work within sports because that’s what I love, whether it’s playing it or watching it, mainly football, that would be a dream if I could get a job within football that I enjoyed. I like the sponsorship side of football, which is what I wrote my dissertation on, with reference to the university football team. An enjoyable and rewarding job at a respected football club would be amazing for me.

What do you wish you’d known before embarking on undergraduate study?
There is not much that I would have changed about university, so there is not much I would want to have known before coming, maybe the fact that in your first year, you do not get to chose what other modules you study on, as some were a little out my comfort zone, but that’s about it really.

What tips would you give to others choosing an undergraduate degree?
The tips I would give to others would be to make sure you have as much fun as you can, enjoy your course and the opportunities it entails, make friends with others as this will improve your time at university, but also improve the quality of your work, as you can help each other. Balance the partying and going out with your work and studying, I loved and still do love going out, but time management is crucial on all assessments to ensure you give yourself the best chance you can to achieve the best grade you can, as well as limiting the stress levels.

What has been the highlight of your time at Lincoln International Business School?
In my opinion, the whole of university at Lincoln within the Business School has been amazing, it went so fast, but I enjoyed it so much, the highlight for me would have to be graduating from university with a First Class Honours Degree, which was achievable on my part through the education, help and support I got from the staff within the Business School at Lincoln University, the result I graduated with is proof of the level of support and teaching that occurs.

Ben Stennings
Ben Stennings

To find out more about undergraduate study at Lincoln International Business School at University of Lincoln, visit our courses page here.