20 Years of Work-Based Distance Learning

Lincoln International Business School’s Work-Based Distance Learning (WBDL) provision are celebrating their 20th birthday this year.

Established in 2001, when the Royal Air Force (RAF) partnered with the University of Lincoln to accredit its Engineer Officer Training course – allowing for RAF officers, who were completing an intensive course in Engineering Management, to receive professional recognition and qualification for the first time.

As a result, a strategy was developed whereby the RAF course was aligned to partial completion of the final year of a BSc (Hons) Engineering Management degree.

This development led to the introduction of another route to the qualification which was designed for professional engineering managers employed within the work-based sector.

From these foundations, the WBDL team has gone from strength to strength spanning two decades, and developing a portfolio of programmes aimed at professionals across a range of managerial disciplines.

These programmes offer academic opportunities for professionals across all UK military services and professionals employed in managerial roles worldwide. Some of the courses include: Business Management, Human Resource Management and Logistics Management.

Tom Cowan
Tom Cowan

Alumnus Tom Cowans, who enrolled on to the BA (Hons) Business Management programme in May 2017 and graduated with a First-Class Honours in December 2020, said:

“The degree programme has without question taught me a tremendous amount and enhanced my managerial skills.

“I am so pleased to have found the Lincoln WBDL degree programme – as not only did the distance learning mean I could continue working full-time, but also, the modules could be achieved through application of my practical work experience.”

Jennifer Morton, a military student who enrolled onto BSc (Hons) Human Resource Management in May 2017 and graduated in 2019 with a First-Class Honours, added:

Jennifer Morton
Jennifer Morton

“As a Royal Navy Warrant Officer attending the Work Based Distance Learning degree, the framework has allowed me to apply my Human Resource Management and experience and gain a higher level of accredited qualification during the 20 months of study undertaken at the University of Lincoln.

“I have had the opportunity to enhance my managerial and academic skills within my own area of expertise in Human Resource Management and maximise my work experience and prior learning with academic learning.”

As part of the continued development, apprenticeships are available from Level four to seven, and all Honours management programmes provide students with Chartered Manager status and professional accreditation.

Alongside this, the portfolio for industry and military courses continues to expand with a new programme starting in November 2021 – FdSc Operations Management.

To find out more about the WBDL provisions, please visit here.